The Task Force Pruritus is a special interest group of the European Academy for Dermatology and Venereology (EADV) formed by pruritus experts based in Europe.
- To run a project on the level of care those affected by pruritus receive in dermatological units (practice, hospitals) and identify their needs in care and treatment.
- Conduct an epidemiological survey on the prevalence of chronic pruritus and prurigo in Europe
- Update and implement the European Guideline on Pruritus
- Apply for EU grants for clinical trials
- Support and/or organize educational courses for itch
Chronic pruritus, defined as itch lasting six or more weeks, is one of the most frequent complaints in dermatology. It is known to be a symptom that arises from a large variety of underlying dermatological, systemic, neurological and psychiatric disorders. Because there are so many possible causes for chronic pruritus, it is difficult for physicians to effectively treat it. The Task Force Pruritus aims to initiate projects and surveys related to symptom prevalence and patient care in an effort to fill in the blanks in this area of medicine.